So there is a new bunch of PowerApps certification out and it is, therefore, time either take the opportunity to learn or to prove that you know, the latest PowerApps stuff. As always old certification will be deprecated and new will take their place …so… ready, set, go.
In this blog post, I will share my secret prep guide of passing certification PL-900: Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals.
Newbie to Microsoft certification?
If you are new to certification exams, I recommend you to go through the official Microsoft course content for this certification as it would give you a decent foundation to have a chance to pass. When taking the exam use these Strategies to read Certification Questions.
But certification is not passed with just reading the theory, but you need to actually get into the system, use it and understand the process and relationships on components as some certification questions are quite “where to click in correct order” questions. For this, I recommend spinning up a free individual Power Platform aka. Community Plan to have a fully functional Power Platform to mess up going through some of the laps found in the below training.
The Shorter prep fore us with practical experience
Having passed Dynamics certification the last 10+ years, I found the most effective step to prep is always to list and look into the specific Skills measured and find relevant information for those topics only to keep my prep as lean, clean and quick. I focus reading up on the added and changed skills measured and only skim the skills measured that have not changed since last time. Below you find the skills measured and links to Docs.microsoft.com that I found relevant to pass the certification.
Relevant information to pass certification
First, I look through the official Microsoft documentation that is getting better and better at Docs.Microsoft.Com.
I have done all the “hard work” and below you find the relevant links for prep on PL-900 in a lean, clean and quick fashion.
Note when reading Docs.Microsoft.com documentation take special care of reading and remembering the purple “Note” and baby blue “Important” section as information here have a high likelihood of being in the certification questions.
Skills measured in PL-900 & links to learn
Understand the business value of Power Platform (20-25%)
Describe the value of Power Platform applications
- analyze data by using Power BI
- act with Power Apps
- build solutions that use Common Data Service (CDS)
- automate with Power Automate
- interoperate with external systems and data
Describe the value of connecting business solutions
Understand Power Platform administration and security
- understand how Power Platform implements security
- understand Power Platform as a service
- describe how to manage apps and users
- describe admin centers
- understand how the platform supports compliance
Understand the Core Components of Power Platform (20-25%)
Understand Common Data Services
- user experience vs unique job role using Power Apps
- identify entities, fields, and relationships
- describe environments
- describe use cases and limitations of Business process flows
- describe use cases and limitations of business rules
- describe the Common Data Model (CDM)
- identify common standard entities
- describe uses for and types of triggers
- describe actions
- describe connectors
- identify use cases for custom connectors
Understand AI Builder
Demonstrate the business value of Power BI (15-20%)
Understand common components in Power BI
Build a basic dashboard using Power BI
- design a Power BI dashboard
- design data layout and mapping
- publish and share reports and dashboards
Demonstrate the business value of Power Apps (20-25%)
Understand common components in Power Apps
- describe canvas apps
- describe model-driven apps
- identify and describe controls
- understand uses for templates
- understand use cases for formulas
Build a basic canvas app
- connect to data
- use controls to design the user experience
- describe the customer journey
- publish and share an app
Demonstrate the business value of Power Automate (15-20%)
Understand the common components of Power Automate
Understand common components in Power Apps
Good luck taking the Certification
Please post a comment if you find anything missing that could benefit from passing this certification.